Friday, April 18, 2014

Rack of mutton

The first weekend of the month is the farmers' market in Walton-on-Thames and I go a bit mad and splurge on some local produce.

Today the mutton caught my eye. I decided the half leg at £18 was a bit much just for me so I got  rack of rack, a much more reasonable portion of meat.

Mutton can be a little chewy if not treated right, cooked long and slow, so I decided to slow roast it with some root vegetables (also from the market.) So here is the the meat:






And here are the Prepped Vegetables. Half A Swede, Some Carrots And An Onion. To These I Have Added Some Rosemary And A Few Sprigs Of Rosemary from The Garden. 


I'm going to do the roasting in two stages. Long (2 hours) at 180c completely sealed in foil and a quick blast at 220 for the meat just before serving. The veg will be blitzed to make a sort of compote to go with the yorkshires that  I am going to cook with it.






No comments:

Post a Comment