Friday, August 20, 2021

Soured cream drink.

More fermented food. Sorry.

This time fermented milk using a sour cream starter.

You'll need:

  • A starter of some live sour cream. I use the one on the right one. I get it from the Polish section of my local Tesco. The other supermarket sour creams are not suitable because they are pasteurised and don't contain any live organisms. If you can't find it in the supermarket, have a chat in a Polish shop. I've found them very helpful.
  • Milk. I only use full milk. It might work with skimmed or semiskimmed but they have no place in my house. I'll leave you to exeriment. I make 4 pint batches. This lasts me a week. It keeps much longer but you might want to start with a smaller batch to start. 
This is how I do it:

  • Pour a half litre of the milk into a clean jug and add half the tub of sour cream. I don't think this is measurement is critical. I know someone who uses an unglazed pot for the fermentation and they reckon the culture builds up in the unglazed pot and this is enough to get the fermentation started. I use a half because I start a second 4 pint batch a few days later. Or I eat the sour cream with polenta.
  • Stir well.
  • Pour the mixture back into the 4pt  container and give it a good shake.
  • Put the top on loosely, it will outgas a little.
  • Leave it at room temperature for 2 days. Shake it sometimes.
  • I like to keep it in the fridge for a week to a month before I drink it.
  • If you like it really smoooth put it in the blender or use a stick belender.
  • You can sweeten it with honey or for a change, add a bit off squash.
For your first time I suggest you drink it young and have a little. Your gut biome might need a little accustomising. I drink about half a pint a day And half a pint of kefir.

The first fermentation is critical and needs a reasonable temperature to get it going. The good organisms need to get a hold before the random souring organisms.

I've kept it refrigerated for over a month. I've also topped up with fresh milk to keep the fermentation going.





No comments:

Post a Comment